What are fillers?
Fillers are stabilized forms of hyaluronic acid used in the correction of lines, wrinkles, and folds of the facial skin for example nasolabial fold, marionette line and frown line. These proven non-allergenic, natural cosmetic dermal fillers are used for cosmetic purposes to restore volume and fullness to the skin, thereby improving its appearance. Fillers may also be used to enhance the appearance of the lips, nose, chin and some types of scars.
What can be successfully treated with fillers ?
- Lip augmentation
- Cheek volume
- Correct facial imbalance
- Naso-labial furrows (lines next to the mouth and nose)
- Glabellar lines (deep lines between the eyebrows)
- Perioral wrinkles (wrinkles around the mouth)
- Nose reshaping and enhancement
- Forehead wrinkles
- Filling out acne scars / sunken areas
- Temporal augmentation
- Reducing under eye hollows
How is the procedure performed?
First, your skin will be cleansed. Then, a topical anesthetic cream will be applied to the treatment area about 30 - 45 minutes prior to treatment. The filler is injected through an ultra fine needle beneath the surface of the skin, under the wrinkle, where it corrects the line or wrinkle by plumping and smoothing out the skin depression. The filler acts as a natural cosmetic filler to restore volume and fullness to the skin, thereby "softening" and improving its appearance.
Each treatment can be completed in a single, 20 minute session, and the patient may return for a top-up after 2 weeks.
How long will they last?
Stabilized forms of hyaluronic acid usually last an average of 9 - 12 months. Some forms of filler can last longer about 18 months due to the larger molecules.
What side effects can I expect after treatment and how long will they last?
The treatment is an office procedure, and patients can return to work immediately after the treatment. Few patients develop complications after a treatment with dermal fillers. Although slight bruising and swelling at the injection sites is common, this will subside within a few days. Patients are advised to avoid massaging the filled areas for the few days following the treatment. To prolong the life of your fillers, avoid using excessive force on the area, for example when having a facial done.
How to care for your skin after filler treatment?
1. Be gentle when washing your face this evening. If treated area becomes a clot, gently massage with clean fingers.
2. Avoid heavy exercise or expose to heat e.g. sauna, hot spa for 2 days after the treatment.
3. Do not allow Facial massage, wax or Facial peeling with AHA, dry ice treatment, microdermabrasion and/or any kind of laser treatment for 10-14 days.
4. If lip area is treated, avoid smoking, drinking with a straw, and kissing for 2 days after treatment.
5. Cosmetics if desired may be applied approximately 1 hour after filler injections.
6. Hydrate well, drinking adequate fluid over the next few days as this will help improve outcomes of filler injection. Filler will draw in a small amount of water over the next few days.
7. We recommend a follow-up appointment in 10-14 days after treatment, however, if you are doing fine, and do not need any touch up, we can see you at your next scheduled appointment, or as needed.
8. Filler typically last 12 months, but some individuals may need it earlier.
9. Occasionally, we may recommend that you apply ice to the area injected to help with swelling or bruising.
10. Avoid taking any medications with anticoagulant effects e.g. Aspirin, Vitamin E, Fish oil and Ginkgo Biloba. Tylenol only for the next week.